Pages

Sunday 23 January 2011

Spreading the Word

I've developed something of a reputation.  No, not that sort of reputation.  In the past year or so I have taught a number of friends to knit and I actively try and get them to come to our weekly meetings.  Yesterday I took my latest student to buy her first wool and needles and we went and sat in a comfy bar to start everything.  I love teaching people how to knit.  They get a wonderful expression on their face each time they master a new thing.  My pupil is making a 3x3 ribbed scarf, a nice easy project to start with, but it gets you learning to cast-on, knit, purl and eventually casting off.  I also think it's a good way to start because you have to get used to reading your knitting to work out which kind of stitch you want to do next after you put it down and pick it up.  We had a very successful time yesterday and I have high hopes for her.  We also had excellent nutella crepes as a reward for our hard work.

If anyone is interested the scheme for the scarf is:
  • cast on a multiple of 6 + 3 stitches
  • RS: (K3, P3) to last 3 stitches, K3
  • WS: (P3, K3) to last 3 stitches, P3
Easy peasy!

Obviously yesterday when we went to the yarn store I couldn't leave empty handed.  I got a couple of balls of lovely discount merino to make some brioche fingerless gloves and something to make a quick gift for a friend.  But most importantly, I bought my first crochet hook and I am determined to make something with it!  I've ordered a copy of Stitch n Bitch Crochet in the hope that it will set me in as good a stead as the knitting book did all those years ago!  I had a sneek peek at what patterns I can expect and they all look excellent, so we'll see how this goes.  Maybe I won't end up with a giant knot like I did last time!

No comments:

Post a Comment